My devotion times recently have been going through much of the Proverbs and several books of the new testament,     As I'm studying, one huge thing sticks out to me-  Giving, Hospitality, and Serving others.   It's been something the Lord has laid on my heart strong in the last year and has been very much confirmed through reading his word.   

  As I read these verses,   My mother-in-law always comes to mind,   she has been the most amazing example of all this to me.        Always hosting,   serving,   ministering to others,  the first to take a meal to someone,   visit a friend in the hospital,   sewing for the homeless,   and giving in any way she can.  Between her and my father-in-law,   you never leave their home hungry,  cold, or in need.    They would give you the coat off their backs and without hesitation.     And you will be guaranteed to be fed a fabulous meal even if you just randomly dropped in,    you WILL be fed!

 My mother-in-law has been the perfect example to me of what God calls the "older woman to teach the younger",  Her devotion to Jesus and her convictions are never wavering and her love and compassion overflow to all.       

  So as I read these verses in God's word about hospitality and kindness,   I have zero excuses,  I have a Godly "older woman" in my life who shows me exactly what God expects,    and desires of me.     

  So,  Through the pulling of God on my heart,     I decided to try in baby steps.    

  A dear friend of mine had surgery recently and I stepped completely out of my comfort zone and took her a meal.      It was a simple meal of ravioli lasagna,  salad, and bread.  but,    She was so blessed,  and I knew God was pleased with me.    I obeyed him and followed his word.  

  ...and truthfully?   

  I enjoyed it,     It felt so good to do something for someone else,   and I know each time,  it will be easier and easier.    I pray it becomes second nature to me,   just like my inlaws,     that I have a heart for others like they do.

  When Ben asked "whos the meal for"?  and I shared with him what I was doing,  Matts immediate response was "Oh my mom always did that for everyone!  she was always the first to take anyone food that needed it"     To him,   Me taking a meal was already second nature,   because of the Godly example his mom was to him growing up.  I MUST be the same example to my children.

  I do not tell this story to pat myself on the back.     I tell it to encourage you,  to follow Gods leading if you feel he is wanting you to mister to others, whether it be through time and volunteering,   a meal,   a quick text to let someone know you are praying for them,   or so many other ways you can be a blessing to someone else.    Do it.    Together,  if we each take a step in this direction,  the lives we can minister to and give glory to God will be endless.     Let's shine for him in all that we do.   

1 Peter 4:9  Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.

Titus 1:8 But hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined.

1 Timothy 5:10 And having a reputation for good works: if she has brought up children, has shown hospitality, has washed the feet of the saints, has cared for the afflicted, and has devoted herself to every good work.

Proverbs 31:20 She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy.

Galatians 6:10 So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Hebrews 13:16 Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

1st day of second grade!

 She's excited, nervous , and feeling all the emotions,  but is braving it like a champ!       And daddy got to take a picture with her!...