Letting the Boy grow up.

Recently Ben was invited to join a local youth group.
In theory it sounded GREAT!   Ben could have more time learning about our savior,  and hang out with other kids his age in a safe controlled atmosphere.    In Theory I was all over it.  

But in reality.... It meant leaving my boy... and driving away.  

Literally. 

Upon further investigation,   Youth Group involved Sunday gatherings at church,  But also - social outing, and trips to local areas,  most of which are situations where I would drop my son off at an appointed location at a certain time and date and let him go.

And believe it or not,  This is really hard for me to do.

Its been a real time of growing,  for Both Ben as a young Man,  
But also,   me.   Ive had to learn what it means to have a preteen in the house,  and NOT a little boy.

I have to trust that I have raised him well enough to be a Christian young man EVEN when Im not around.

but also,  Ive had to learn to trust others WITH my son.  To trust the leaders to teach him right,  and to be alert to the talk and actions of the young people as they mingle,  are they pleasing to the Lord?  

So the other day when the youth group hosted game night.    Every kid was told to bring a snack to pass and they would spend a few hours playing group games.

And to be truthful,  as I drove him there,  I had EVERY intention of walking in with him,   talking for a few with the leaders and then maybe making my way back out....eventually....

but upon arrival ,  all of us parents happened to show at the same time.... all in a row.   and every parent drove up,  let their kid jump out and then.... drove off.  
My heart sank a little.
I was at a cross roads.   
park and walk him in?
Or drive up ,  let him get out and drive away.

Deep down,  I knew I had to drop him off. 

So I did,    I handed him his plate of pin wheels for snack that I had made earlier that day,  let him jump out,  and ...  I waved goodbye,   as I drove off with all the other parents.

I HAD to let him grow up.   I had to let him become a man.   And I had to trust that Ive raised him well enough to be able to do that.

*and please note,   not every situation warrants the "well every other parent does it" attitude.    There are certainly times that as a parent we have to go against the flow and do what is right for our kids regardless what the world tells you,  and there are definitely times to be all up in their business!   It takes Wisdom to know the difference.      Im sharing this story to let you know that I am learning this wisdom,  and that I am growing as a parent and allowing my son the freedom to become him own person,  while very much under my authority and ever present Eyes.    

 Raising kids is no joke sometimes people... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

1st day of second grade!

 She's excited, nervous , and feeling all the emotions,  but is braving it like a champ!       And daddy got to take a picture with her!...